What have I done?! I could hear myself screaming internally as I looked at the sea of files in my Google Drive. I have so much shit that I’ve written, and so much of it consists only of half-finished ideas, a few sentences about a character or setting or plot. Realizing that I was going to have to convert this stuff was a nightmare realization. And when I started actually doing the conversions, that only got worse, because I realized that this was a clean install of Scrivener.
I had used other methods of storage before, some of which had existing file structures associated with them that I had backed up, and then I also had various pieces I had labored over at work (sorry, not sorry) which ended up getting stored in several work backups and then a massive dump of all that stuff after I left my job. Needless to say, what I ended up with was a working structure of mostly current stuff, backups of that stuff, then backups and dumps of several other platforms and things that I had never fully gotten around to integrating into whatever newer systems I came up with. As someone who was at least attempting to be a professional writer, writing itself was the main thing. All of that busywork and maintenance was stuff I knew I needed to get around to, but at the same time it never mattered enough in the grand scheme of things (unless I needed to dip back to find an older document or some such) to truly hold my attention.
Then it all got worse: I met Scrivener for the first time.